Saturday, September 19, 2009

Bribery

I have a confession. I have never been one of those good moms who right from the start taught their baby to go to sleep on their own. Instead, I was with them every night when they went to sleep. With Kiley, I rocked her to sleep every night. Madee hated to be rocked, but wanted someone to lay by her. Destrie was fine with either way, being rocked or having someone lay by him. Let me just say that Kile was always against my bed time rituals with the kids, but he let me do my thing. Another thing that usually happened, was that the kids would end up in our bed most every night.

Long story short, night time has always been a problem at our house, and I know it is my fault. Destrie is almost 4 years old and can't go to bed without one of us laying by him to get him to sleep.
Last night, we told Destrie that if he would go upstairs and go to bed, "my lone" (that's what he calls going to sleep by himself) we would take him to the store in the morning and he could pick out a toy. He went right upstairs and went to sleep, and we didn't see him until 7:30 this morning. So, now I know that he can do it by himself and believe me, from this point on- he will. We went to Shopko, and he chose a toy that he wanted. The rule attached to this prize is that he has to continue to go to bed by himself from now on. I am so excited to be done (I hope) with the bed time drama.

If I had it to do over again, I would have my babies going to sleep on their own right from the start. Oh well, I guess you live and learn.

1 comment:

sarah louise said...

I wouldn't. a little inconvience is worth rocking your babies to sleep!